Have insurance for water damage

The first question that should be asked is my covered water damage loss

The variations in water damage to homes can be many and homeowners are often surprised to learn that their specific policy does not cover a particular type of water loss. Being stuck with a high out-of-pocket expense for repairs can be daunting for any homeowner and should be avoided. Steps can be taken to ensure that this does not happen. First, before a disaster strikes, policies should be reviewed and questions asked of the home insurance company. Particular insurance policies must be understood and defined to outline basic water damage coverage. For example, most policies cover damage that occurs from rain that enters through a hole in the roof caused by winds, but not water that rises above the height of the tiles and floods the carpets. and the wooden floors. There is no small question you can ask yourself when the stakes are high. A clear understanding is essential.

Next question: Is my property located in a flood zone?

Flood zones are identified as a Special Flood Hazard Area or SFHA by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, also known as FEMA. These areas are identified on a flood map as high risk due to factors such as proximity to rivers, shorelines receiving storm surge, constant weather patterns of heavy rainfall, and sites of development and erosion. FEMA provides online guides for deciding where communities are located on the Flood Map and what the exact risks to the individual are. FEMA also provides an enormous amount of information, from projected hazard scenarios to flood cost charts. Again, this information is critical in deciding the appropriate insurance coverage for a homeowner’s water damage loss. Insurance agents can also help provide this information.

My house is flooded. I have insurance in place. What should I do now?

The adage “Time is of the essence” rings true in this situation. Water damage increases exponentially as the clock ticks. Flood will travel along the path of least resistance indoors, soaking drywall, carpets, floors, and subfloors, compromising the integrity of the structure. Emergency water extraction will reduce the damage and cost required for the full restoration. A water mitigation company should be called immediately. They operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and must be equipped with water extraction equipment, dehumidifiers and air motors to start the process of total removal of moisture and moisture content from the home. The next step should be to contact the claims department with the insurance company to file a claim and start the process. A claims adjuster will be able to answer any particular questions about an individual’s policy and issue claim numbers after filing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *